All Jewett School of the Arts Magnet students are required to wear standard dress for the 2019-2020 school year. Shirts can be ordered online or at the school when vendor is on site during published date. Bottoms can be purchased at various stores including Wal-Mart, Bealls, Target, Old Navy and JC Penny.
Solid Red and Royal Blue JSA Logo Polo Shirts for Elementary School (K-5)
Solid Black and Maui Blue JSA Logo Polo Shirts for Middle School (6-8)
- Shirts purchased online at vendor website, or at school on uniform night.
- Students should button the bottom button on polo shirts.
- White, gray, red or black undershirts may be worn under polo shirts (solid colors, without any design).
- During cold weather, white, gray, red or black long sleeve shirts may be worn under polo shirts (solid colors, without any design).
- Shirts are to be tucked in at all times and belts must be visible. Rolling or flaring of the shirt around the waistline is not allowed.
- Uniform tops must fit appropriately.
Khaki and/or Black Twill Uniform Material (No Denim)
- The khakis should be a tan color, not olive , brown or yellow.
- Plain uniform shorts, pants, capris, skorts or skirts may be worn
- All bottoms must be hemmed- not frayed.
- Appropriate length (Dollar Bill Rule).
- Bottoms are to be worn around the waist. No undergarments should be visible. (No sagging)
- No bibbed overalls, corduroy, nylon, sweats, leggings, jeggings (tight fitting, stretchy material) or jumpers are allowed.
- If there are belt loops, a plain belt with a standard belt buckle must be worn. Belts should not have any metal studs or oversized belt buckles. Belts should be black, tan, brown, kahki in color with no prints.
- Denim is not allowed to be worn unless prior notification has been given by the schools Administration.
Jackets and Coats:
- Any pullover garment that is worn all day must be approved JSA apparel that has been purchased through the school office.
- New zipped hoodie jackets are available for purchase through the office.
All heavy outer garments (such as coats/jackets/sweaters/cardigans) must have a button, snap, or zipper front. Hoods are permissible but cannot be worn during school hours. These items are only allowed if the weather is below 50 degrees and must be removed once you enter the building. Please write names in all jackets in case a student misplaces one, we may return it.
Other Dress Code Rules:
- Any accessories worn with the school uniform may not distract from the learning environment. Appropriate samples of accessories include no more than 2 bracelets and 1 necklace (worn inside the shirt) and earrings no larger than a quarter.
- Socks must be primarily black, gray or white and worn below the knee.
- Tights may be worn but must be solid black or white.
- Rubber soled shoes must be worn at all times for safety reasons. This includes tennis shoes, loafers, deck shoes, or tie shoes. Boots, high heels, heel sneakers, open toe/heel, or lighted/skate shoes are not allowed.
- No embroidery, patches, laces, stripes, decorative stitching, or shiny/glittery embellishments should be on any clothing.
- No fraying, holes, or tears should appear on any garments.
- Purses must be no larger than 8 ½ inches by 11 inches.
- No other accessories are allowed at school that has not been previously mentioned in the above dress code.
School Spirit Day: Band, Art, Dance, Drama, Chorus, Orchestra, Club, and JSA T-shirts may be worn on Fridays only.
Dollar Bill Rule
To determine the acceptable length for shorts, skorts, and skirts simply hold a dollar bill horizontally between the top of the knee and the bottom of the clothing. This will give you the minimum short, skort, or skirt length that is permissible for your child. Please remember that students grow considerably during the school year. Clothing that fits properly in August may be inappropriate by February.
Administration reserves the right to request a change of clothing for inappropriate dress or to recommend changes on anything deemed distracting to the learning process.